Day 29 - August 9, 2022 - Lake District - "Barrow-in-Furness"

 I was awake at 6:00 this morning and hopped in the shower.  As I was getting dressed, Kay commented about how quiet it had become.  It was then I realized that we had no electricity and no water.  I went out on deck and this is what I saw.


We were in the midst of hundreds of wind turbines.  I actually counted over 150 in one pod and I could see three pods.  


The turbines were interesting, but we still had no power.  About 10 minutes later the electricity came on but it was another 45 minutes before water was reestablished and the ship began to move again.


Approaching the pier in Barrow-in-Furness.

It looks like a beautiful day, mostly clear skies and temperatures in the low 70's.


Barrow, was once famous for its ship building.  Now it is famous for its nuclear submarine building.  The large buildings in the background are the "barns" where the subs are constructed. It is impossible to appreciate the size of the buildings from the distance we were from them.  According to our guide, they are the second most complex device in existence, behind the space station.  They are even more complex than the Space Shuttle.  It takes years to construct and test each unit.


Here is a sub that is undergoing testing.



We visited another farm.  


A demonstration of wool sheering.





William Wordsworth has probably turned over in his grave.  Grasmere is no longer the fairest pace on earth, it is a tourist attraction, think Myrtle Beach.

I apologize for the brief post today.  The fact is, it wasn't an enjoyable day for me.  Rather than complain, I'm just doing an abbreviated post...

I am looking forward to the Isle of Man tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 41 - August 21, 2022 - Fly from Dublin to Atlanta

Day 39 - August 19, 2022 - Dublin - Glendalough

Day 40 - August 20, 2022 - Dublin